Tuesday, December 07, 2010

Holidays in the middle of the week just suck

So today is New Years day (Islamic new year).  I went around saying, "Happy New Year" to my buds (they already know that I'm not right in the head).  It didn't feel like New Year's day either.

I called lots of people.  Slaps, Spanx, The Romanian and a few others were still in their PJs at 1:30 pm.  Granted, 1:30pm is still the middle of the night for The Romanian, but still.  We were all in the same mood:  sleepy and grumpy.

You can't really do anything on a middle of the week holiday but just stay home and chill/eat.  It feels like a Saturday (Kuwait version of Sunday) on a Tuesday.  Now I'm just all discombobulated and I don't know how I am going to feel for the rest of the week.

Calgon, take me away.

1 comment:

buzfairy said...

We have a law that delays mid-week holidays to either a Thursday or a Sunday, to allow ppl to have a 3-day weekend instead of having a single day off in the middle of the week that just goes to waste.

One of those holidays was the Islamic new year and the regular new year. So when we had to go to work one year on Jan 1, it felt very weird. Therefore, they decided to exclude these two holidays from the 3-day weekend rule.

It makes sense for Jan 1, but not so much for the Hijri year... I mean we can enjoy the latter more of it was clamped together with a weekend.