Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Melenzane and Teng Chao

I had the BEST meal the other night at a new (dunno how new, admitedly) Italian restaurant at Bidaa (very close to my house), called Melenzane. (The sign in the front is spelled with letters backward and for someone who is semi-dislexic like me, it really throws you off.)  My friends, L and K, turned me onto it.  I had rissoto with chicken and mushrooms.  K had mushroom ravioli.  Yummmmmmmm.  It is a small place and dark (even though I had lasik now I need reading glasses - also known as "old age") and chic.  I like it. I don't like that the bathroom is upstairs.  I hate that.  You go out for a nice meal wearing high heels and you run the risk of tumbling down dark stairs and making a mockery of yourself.   And yet... The best Italian food I've had in Kuwait.  Most of our Italian restaurants came out of a can; "Ragu restaurants".  This one is the real deal - and reasonably priced.  Oh... when will the day come when you can have a nice glass of chianti with your meal?  Heavy sigh.

Second part of this post:  WTF has happend to Teng Chao at the Holiday Inn in Salmiya???  It it now an Egyptian sheesha cafe?  HORRIBLE.  There are televisions in several corners, blaring soccer matches, and a violin player baring Musak. Chinese - NOT.  Elegant - NOT.  The service was also deplorable, even though the guy was very friendly.  It used to be that you could go there for a nice, elegant business dinner, but not now.  SucksMuch.  The violinist isn't bad, but my idea of a eating a Chinese meal isn't accompanied by "Besame Mucho" on the fiddle. It may just be ME, but.... nah.

J&J, it was SO nice to see you both.  You are two of my very favorite people.  The pianist in the lobby is outstanding, BTW. :)

I had to go to the US Embassy this morning.  They have this COOL new machine. It detects any kind of explosive residue. Does make-up count?  They swab your purse and it then they place the swab in the machine and it has a menu of explosive components that might come up.  It is very cool.  I asked what woudl happen if I was out somewhere - like working on a contract with ammo or something.  He said after 2 tests, if something came up, he would call his supervisor and then Lucy would have some 'splainin to do.  I, bien sur, had nothing to declare.  I didn't see what they swabed on the men.  Wallets?  Dunno.  Maybe cause they don't carry anything (most men except for those guys who carry "man satchels" - which are really purses anyways).

Lovin this weather.  I want to be outside playing.






I don't usually do this, but....
A note to my friend:   I know you are reading this and it must be very upsetting to analyze everything.  I really do respect you and like you a lot (I think you know that).   Just don't read the blog if it hurts you.  I don't want you to be unhappy and I have a very boring life, really.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Talking about the new machine at the embassy, my sister who is on the Kuwait shooting team went to the embassy last year and when they checked her purse the machine went off for explosives and everyone started looking at her. SHe had to explain that she was on the shooting team and takes that purse with her when she practices so that's where the gun powder residue was from.


That's one way to freak out the Indians at the embassy.

expataussiegal said...

Agree totally with your comments on Teng Chao. We went about six months ago and had exactly the same experience as you described. Vowed never to return and haven't.
FYI, Australian embassy has the same cool machine.

Anonymous said...

Okay ... I am really sad Teng Chao is gone from Holiday Inn. I haven't been in ages but I loved it and have some awesome memories at that restaurant.

I will second the fact that Melenzane is the BEST Italian resto in Kuwait ... the only other that might have given it a run for its money was Italos at the Avenues .. sadly it closed last year sometime and was replaced by Cafe Meem.

Desert Girl said...

Anonymous 6:40 - I LOVE IT!!! :)

Expataussiegal - Glad I'm not the only one who feels that way.

Randy - I didn't say Teng Chao is GONE from the HI - it is still there, but the atmosphere is very bad now.