Sunday, March 16, 2014

Happy Dog

I took my boy to the beach this weekend.  It was the 2nd time he's ever seen the sea, so he was a little happy (Mashallah).



It was such a gorgeous day.  I went with my camp buddies and came back so relaxed.  I will be back down there for sure a lot this summer.  

I used to take Desert Dawg to this very same beach when she was younger and she never played in the waves.  Now, she's so blind, deaf, and frightened by even the smallest things that I don't dare take her too far from home.  She's just too fragile at 17 years old.  She runs around my apartment, but I think that's just because she knows where all the furniture is.  (For that reason, I've been too afraid to re-arrange anything.)  Poor little thing.  I'm just trying to make her as comfortable as possible.  Mike has taken over all her old toys; she's not interested in anything but her food and her favorite wool blanket.  I love that little dog so much and it is so hard to see her fading.  Almost 17 years is a long time for a dog to live, so I've been blessed.

Anyhoo, Mike came along at the right time.  It is so different to have a big dog again.  I grew up with big dogs. He's so strong and athletic and it is going to be fun to take him places.

Oh ok, and something I want to say:  I've been seeing a LOT of messages on Instagram and Facebook for people trying to get rid of their pets.  Most commonly is, "Please help us in re-homing (Flan) as the mother has decided she no longer wants animals in the house."  My standard answer is always (and will always be "Re-home the mother.")  Deciding to take a pet is a responsibility.  You are teaching your children responsibility.  You don't just teach them that it is ok to dump your responsibility when you no longer feel like taking care of it. Piss-poor parenting.   Pet ownership should be (and is to me) a life-long commitment (for the full life of  the pet).  Now that the cooler/camping season is over, you will see a lot of pets being dumped.  It was fun to have them outside and play with them (as puppies/kittens) and now that it is going to be hot and the animals are a little older, people are looking to get rid of them.  THESE PEOPLE DISGUST ME.   (End of sermon.)


Anyhoo, I had a great day with my big, hyper-puppy.  Hope all y'alls had a nice weekend too.  Wasn't the weather amazing?

6 comments:

AG said...

I'm so glad you have Mikey in your life. I really think he's come along at the perfect time with Desert Dawg embracing her golden years.

I'm also terribly disgusted by those who get a puppy or kitten, think it's cute for a minute, then need to rehome it for whatever reason. The lack of emotion and empathy is such a scary trait.

Expat and the City said...

He is absolutely adorable. <3

Anonymous said...

where do you take your dog and let him run around? when i take my dog out i dont dare let go of the leash because of the deadly stares.

Desert Girl said...

Anonymous March 19:

As you can see - he's definitely off the chain! It depends where you take your dog.

I would first and foremost be cautious not to take him/her to areas where the Municipality has been known to spread poison targeting stray dogs (Messila walking track, for example) and others.

I would also never let him off the leash (without knowing 100% that he was trained and wouldn't respond to commands) if there are other people around. They might hit the dog or worse - steal him in front of you and drive off.

I am VERY cautious.

Desert Girl said...

Anonymous March 19:

As you can see - he's definitely off the chain! It depends where you take your dog.

I would first and foremost be cautious not to take him/her to areas where the Municipality has been known to spread poison targeting stray dogs (Messila walking track, for example) and others.

I would also never let him off the leash (without knowing 100% that he was trained and wouldn't respond to commands) if there are other people around. They might hit the dog or worse - steal him in front of you and drive off.

I am VERY cautious.

Unknown said...

OMG he is adorable, mashAllah! Thanks for the info about the beach, will bear that In mind when i take mine.