Monday, February 29, 2016

Toastmasters Kuwait



I SUCK at public speaking.  If you've ever heard me speak in public - you know this to be true.  I immediately make off-color, inappropriate jokes that leaves everyone in the room with their jaw on the floor.  Like the time at the American Business Council when an MC called me up to, "Say a few words" spontaneously.  WRONG!  Bad move.  I didn't know what it was about.  I didn't know why I was up there.  So, I said the first thing that popped into my mind, "Hi.  My name is (Desert Girl) and I'm an alcoholic.  It's been 3 days, 4 hours, and 22 minutes since my last drink...."  (Dead silence. Blank stares.)
Disclaimer:  No disrespect to the problems that alcoholics face. I've had a few in my family and I know the ugly truth about how difficult it is for everyone involved.
Anyways, Toastmasters would really help me, I'm sure.  One of my dear colleagues is very involved with local Toastmasters and has requested my assistance in a sponsorship drive.

Toastmasters Kuwait factoids:
The first Toastmaster club was established in Kuwait on 1999, and currently there are 55 clubs in Kuwait with 500+ members eager to learn and form a community of learners who care about their self-development. Kuwait is part of District 20 and has 4 divisions.
Some of their programs include:

A self-paced program
Speech writing and presenting
Weekly interactive meetings
Table Topics™
Evaluations
Participation in meeting roles
Opportunity to conduct meetings
Small groups

Right now, they are seeking sponsors for local events.  Company names/logos will appear on their publications and social media outlets.

“Every Toastmasters journey starts with a simple speech.”

I’m helping a friend to find sponsors for an April 29 event in Kuwait, combining several local Toastmaster clubs at the American University of Kuwait.

Are you interested in joining Toastmasters? Want to work on your public speaking?  This is an excellent opportunity to find out how local clubs work and to meet some of their members.
Toastmasters is seeking sponsors in the form of cash donations (ranging in denominations of between KD 200 and 500) or gifts that can be awarded to winners at the event.

For more information on how you can sponsor and/or get involved, please contact Yousef at dotackuwait@gmail.com

Toastmasters main website:  https://www.toastmasters.org/

Thank you!

1 comment:

edgedsoul said...

I've been intending on joining a local toastmasters club to socialize and actually try out a new form of activities. Hopefully this could be a chance for me, you too should work on your jokes. Next time, try bringing up some drunk kittens... um, probably should work on mine too.